In the 2015 Federal Budget, the Government announced cuts to the Australia Council’s budget to establish a new funding structure called the 'National Programme for Excellence in the Arts'. Yesterday the Australia Council outlined the significant effect the 2015–16 budget measures will have on their funding programs.
'To manage the transition to the new funding framework the Council needs to take the following actions:
- the Australia Council June grant round, including government programs, will not proceed
- existing applications can be assessed within the September round, which will include multi-year project support for individual artists and arts organisations
- the six-year funding for organisations program is suspended
- the Australia Council will honour the current contracts of multi-year funded organisations until their conclusion at the end of 2016
- the ArtStart, Creative Communities Partnerships Initiative and Artists in Residence programs will not be offered in the future.'
Yesterday Ausdance met with other peak arts organisations to discuss joint actions and to draft a joint response. We will update you in the coming week.
In the meantime, you may like to add your name to the Media Entertainment Arts Alliance (MEAA) joint letter to George Brandis. Sign the letter here: http://bit.ly/1IOfz6c